Sunday, July 15, 2012

Garden Theme 80th Birthday Cake

I created this cake for 80th birthday for a women who likes to garden.  Her daughter saw my NOARDA competition cake, liked the design, and wanted something similar for her mother.  I kept the shapes and color of the cake the same, but changed the details a bit as to make the cake unique.


To enhance the garden theme, I created garden gloves, a shovel, and seed packets out of gum paste.  The seed packets were one of my favorite details.  I made an actual sealed packet out of gum paste with dragees inside the packet so that it sounded like there were seeds inside when you shook it.  I downloaded some images of vintage seed packets from the Internet and printed out an edible image to attach to the packets.



Since it was a garden cake, it, of course, had to have flowers.  I made sure to include yellow roses and pink peonies as they were specific flowers the women had in her garden.  I also made white sweet peas,  white berries, and some blue pulled blossoms.  


I loved they way the blue blossoms popped against the yellow roses.


The topper was a topiary ball made from Styrofoam ball, covered in fondant and then covered with gum paste hydrangea and buds.



For the peonies, it was my first time making them, so I tried a couple of techniques to see which look I preferred.  I was pleased with the outcome as it was first time making them, but when I try them again, I am going play around with them a bit to try for something a little bit more realistic looking.  The peonies started out a very light pink color, but I gave them a final dust with some watermelon petal dust with a tiny bit of plum petal dust. 


I liked this one the best.








No comments:

Post a Comment