Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sugar Flower Galore and Gumpaste Hydrangea Links

There has been a bit of radio silence around here, but with good reason. I have been a busy bee creating sugar flowers for an upcoming cake.  A couple of weeks ago, I decided to enter a small, local cake show(My first ever!) so I have been working furiously over the last week and half trying to create all the bits and pieces for the cake.  My butt has been firmly glued to my work area at my kitchen table in the evenings after work.


My little workspace.

I think I may have been a little ambitious in my design. I decided on some sugar flowers that I have never made before, so it has been a bit like sugar flower bootcamp for me as I try to figure out how to make them.

Hydrangea made using Petalsweet's tutorial.

Petals cut and dusted for Black-Eyed Susans

The beginnings of some yellow roses.

I am still a novice when it comes to making sugar flower. There have been some mistakes and "duh"moments; however, you usually learn more from your mistakes than you do your successes. I try to keep that in mind when I screw something up. 


I still have a bit more to finish (leaves and the dusting everything with petal dusts) before this weekend when I will start working on the actual cake portion.  Can I just say that I love my metal shelving in my kitchen so much!  I keep most of my cake supplies in large storage closet and use my shelving unit to hold the projects I am currently working on. It has six large shelves and is essential in keeping me organized and tidy. 

And because I hate to leave with just a post of a bunch of my pictures, I wanted share with you the best gum paste hydrangea tutorial I have found. I think most cake people know Jacqueline Butler of Petalsweet, but if you don't, run quickly and check her out.  She makes the most amazingly beautiful sugar flowers.  She has both a 3 part hydrangea tutorial on her blog, which I used to make the hydrangeas above.  In addition, she has filmed a online hydrangea and filler flower tutorial for Craftsy that you can purchase.  I haven't purchased it yet, but plan on doing so in the future so I can refine my technique.

So go forth and make beautiful flowers!


No comments:

Post a Comment