Saturday, April 28, 2012

Gum Paste Peony Resources

It is time to start learning some new sugar flowers, and I have had gum paste peonies on my to-do list for a while.  Before I ever attempt to make a new type of sugar flower,  I read and watch the all tutorials I can find and take note of the different techniques used. I also look at wide variety of pictures of the real flower I am trying to make from sugar.  I admit I am nerd at heart and probably study and research things a little excessively before attempting them, but that is what works for me.

How can you not love all that beautiful, frilly goodness? 

Since one of my goals for my blog was to share resources with others like me who are trying to improve their sugar skills, I wanted to put together an extensive list of tutorials and resources available for those looking for to attempt sugar peonies.

Blog Tutorials: 
Cake Journal: Two part blog tutorial
Cakes and Cookies by Andrea: Blog tutorial
Cakes by Keka: Pictorial tutorial using heart shaped cutters and a ruffle pastry cutter in place of peony cutters.  A great idea of using the supplies that you have.
The Cakerator: Great blog in general and a great two part tutorial starting here
Delicious Cake Design: Blog entry about her learning peony flowers from Alan Dunn which contains some lovely pictures and useful information
Tortentantea Tortenwelt: This one is in German, but good self explanatory pictures, and I am sure you could use a translator on the page if you prefer. It is a two parter so don't miss the link to the second part at the bottom of the entry.

Misc Tutorials: 
Sugar Craft: Buddy Valastro Tutorial
Petal Crafts: Pictorial Tutorial on Facebook
Wilton: Peony the Wilton way. An easier version, but not necessarily very realistic looking.
Cake Central: 2 part tutorial by SharonK1973 on Cake Central with a link to the second part
Cake Central: Sweettooth101's tutorial using inexpensive cutters

Video Tutorials onYouTube: 
Way Beyond Cakes by Mayan: 4 part tutorial with the first part here. This one is great for a beginner who doesn't have a lot of expensive gum paste tools.
Poetry on a Plate: Six-part tutorial, excellent.
Savannah Custom Cakes: Short little video on making peony buds

If you want to purchase a tutorial:
Nicholas Lodge Peony and Gardenia DVD: I own this DVD. Awesome, awesome instructor.
A Cake to Remember: Has a very extensive print tutorial available on Etsy.  Lots of pictures. She shows you how to make peonies 4 different ways including open peonies which don't usually find in the free online tutorials.  Only $7.00!
Design Me A Cake: Edna De la Cruz has an instructional Peony DVD available for purchase on her website.  I don't own it, but her tutorials on You Tube are wonderful so imagine that this is a high quality DVD.

Let me know if I have missed any good tutorials that you think I should add to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment