Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Marathon Training Update and My Weight Loss Story

It has been many moons since I did any kind of update for the Wisconsin Marathon training and that is because I decided a couple of weeks ago to pull out of the race.  There are a couple of reasons for that. The main one being that I am simply not committing to the mileage needed to have a successful race.  I could probably log enough miles to complete the race if I want to, but it wouldn't be a pretty race nor would I have a decent time.  It just not worth the money (traveling, lodging, boarding the dogs for the weekend) only to go and barely scrape through the marathon.  I was feeling burnt out very early on in the training and with the Chicago Marathon on my schedule for the fall, I would rather save my energy and my body(my right hip/knee problems were already starting to flare-up again) to fully commit to that marathon.

I am disappointed, mostly with myself for not being able to follow through with this goal, but frankly, I think I just needed a break.  I have been running off and on the last couple of weeks, but it is nice to just go out and run when I feel like it and not be constantly worrying about finding the time to get my miles in.

On top of all that, efforts to drop about 10 pounds of newlywed weight, in order to help pick up some speed with my running, seem to be stuck, like in dried cement stuck.  I keep losing and gaining the same couple of pounds. Grrr! Weight loss and I have long, frustrating, but ultimately pretty successful history which I haven't really talked about before on the blog, but it was my reason for getting into running in the first place.  If you are interested in reading more about my weight loss story, my friend Kristen, at the fabulous blog Low Fat Dressing, has just started a series about some of her friends who have lost and maintained a significant amount of weight, and my story is the inaugural post!   Go check it out and pick up some fashion knowledge and tasty recipes too!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's perfectly understandable if you take a breather before you train for another marathon. If you think about it, you have been aiming at really big goals for a while now: first you preparing for your wedding, then training for the Chicago Marathon. Plus all the "small" stuff like moving into your first house, ripping apart your kitchen, adjusting to a second dog, growing your cake decorating skills, etc. Maybe not taking on another big goal like another marathon for a while is what you need for a bit...like you said, sometimes it's nice just to run for running's sake. Enjoy that part too!

    Thank you again for contributing to my blog; I really admire what you've done, not just losng the weight and keeping it off, but the hard work of learning yourself and your triggers. A lot of people, myself included, struggle with that part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That is very true and I hadn't really thought it about it that way. I admittedly put too much pressure on myself sometimes that I lose sight of things.

      And no problem. It was beneficial to me to able write all that stuff out. Weight loss and all the emotional stuff that comes with it is freaking hard, and I honestly don't think I could have written that even just a couple of years ago as I was pretty messed up about things.

      Delete
  2. I have run several marathons at various weights and of course, my best was when I was at my slimmest. A couple of years ago I decided I would not race but rather run for fitness while I sorted out my weight/thyroid issues. Because I run a lot people constantly ask me if I'm doing this race or that and seem astonished when I say no, I don't feel like racing. I may never run another marthon due to the amount of training it requires, but it's all good. I'm happily just running along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to completing multiple marathons! That is an awesome accomplishment! Training is such a commitment and when I started feeling guilty and dreading my runs that is when I knew I needed to put the breaks on it. I want to love running for life even if that means not racing so much.

      Delete