Monday, March 19, 2012

Bumble Bee Baby Shower Cake

Do you know what makes me feel old?  Making a baby shower cake for a friend and being able to remember when the mommy-to-be was born and was just a baby herself.  Yikes!  Any way, I was honored to make the baby shower cake for a long-time, family friend. It was a beautiful and lovely event, and Baby Gavin is lucky to be entering the world surrounded by lots of love, family, and friends. 

The shower was  bee themed, and I was provided a picture of a beautiful bumble bee cake created by Marniela on Cake Central to use as inspiration.  I changed/added a couple of very small details, but in general, kept true to her original design. 


The bumble bee on top was made from Styrofoam shapes I picked up at Michaels and covered in fondant.  I used two thin layers eliminate the bumpiness from the foam.  I also used this tutorial from Jessicakes to make the adorable little black bows for the cake borders.



I used an edible ink marker to make the little bee flight trails on the bottom layer.  Unfortunately, my marker was a bit dried out, so I ended up just dipping the tip of the marker straight into a blob of black gel color every few dashes and drawing them on like that.  Sometimes you just got to improvise and make do with what you got. 


I didn't get a good picture of one of my favorite details, which was the cake board.  I covered a 1/2 inch thick cake drum with white fondant and used a flower impression mat to emboss the fondant. I finished it off with a dusting of pearl powder and covered the edges of the cake drum with a black satin ribbon and bow.  Here is picture of the board right after I finished it.

Finishing off the cake board was something I didn't do much of when I first started decorating, but taking the time to decorate your board really adds to the overall theme and look of your cake.  It's just one of those little details that takes your cakes up a notch and looks a 100% more professional.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete