Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Totally Awesome 80s Cake!

It has been a slow couple of weeks in regards to baking and cake decorating, but I did have one big project in January that I wanted to share, my best friend's birthday cake. I don't think I am being braggy when I call this cake totally awesome, as it was 80s themed.


I found my inspiration in some of the amazing 80s cakes that I saw in my Internet search.  I pulled a couple of the design details that I liked (the pac-man layer and black and white checked cake board) and then combined them with details that were specific to the birthday girl, the mixed tapes, Tiger Beat, and Richard Marx album.  My goal was to make a cake that screamed 80's without throwing on every image, catch phrase, and trend reminiscent of the decade.



What screams the eighties more than homemade mix tapes? Do kids even know what cassettes are anymore? 



The Ms. Pac Man layer was time consuming, but well worth the effort.  Each piece was cut by hand and then mounted on the cake. Each side of the bottom layer had a different design.




I was so happy with the end result!  It turned out almost exactly how I pictured in my mind!

The details:
  • Everything with the exception of the black and white zebra ribbon around the cake board was edible. 
  • The Tiger Beat, Richard Marx album, and cassette tape labels are edible images mounted on gum paste.  I found the images on the Internet and printed them off on a printer that I only use with edible ink.  If you are interested, I purchased my printer from Icing Images.
  • The cassettes are made from black fondant that was mixed with tylose powder.  
  • The cake board was made by cutting out squares of black and white fondant that I lined up and pasted to the cake drum with piping gel.  It took forever, but the look was perfect!

10 comments:

  1. I feel so lucky to have seen this in person. It might be your best cake yet. And it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really, really happy with how everything turned out.

      Delete
  2. This is amazing, Kate. Some friends saw this over my shoulder & were also wowed. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Twas a labor of love for Jessie. It helps that I had such good material to work from.

      Delete
  3. I've just come across your blog - this cake is amazing! I was wondering how you did the magazine cover and was intrigued when I read you have an icing printer. I've heard of them, but never seen one! Is it worth the investment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love my icing printer, but it is a bit of investment. I think if you do a lot of cakes though it can be very handy. I also used it for the Air Force seal on this cake.

      http://www.katemakescakes.blogspot.com/2011/12/blast-from-past-air-force-flag-cake.html

      I have also seen people use them on cookies to display a company's logo or couple's monogram for a wedding which can be very pretty.

      Delete
  4. how large are the tiers on this cake? I love the crispness of the work and the colors are great! LIKE TOTALLY AWESOME :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I believe it was a 10 inch square on the bottom and a 8 inch circle on top.

      Delete
  5. I really like this cake like how much would one almost like this cost for a party of 300 people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I just do this as a hobby and don't sell cakes so I can't really couldn't quote you a price. I can say that the price for a similar cake for 300 people would be dependent on the talent of the sugar artist and the location where you live.

      Delete