Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Marathon Training: Week 1 Recap

So last week was my first full week of training for my May 5th marathon in Wisconsin.  I am not training with a running group this time around, and in order to keep myself on track and accountable to my training schedule, I am going to post a short weekly recap here.  If you are interested, I am using Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 Marathon Training Plan as a guide. This is the same plan I used for the Chicago Marathon in the fall. The only difference this time around is that I plan to run my long runs at a 9:00 per mile pace rather than a 9:30 pace.  I am also using the recap to help monitor my weight by weighing myself at the beginning and end of each week. Just google "marathon training" and "weight gain" and you will see that it is a rather common issue for runners.  I definitely rewarded my long runs with pizza a few too many times during my last training, so this time I hoping to maintain a healthier diet.

Week 1

Total Mileage: 25
Long Run/Average Pace: 8 miles/8:57
Cross training and Strength Training: 2 one hour yoga workouts, no strength training
Weight Change: n/a, didn't monitor it this week
Overall Thoughts: Not much to say since this just the first week. Even though I lost some of my endurance and speed from my lack of running in December, I am still faster than I was when I started marathon training last year thus my bump up to a 9:00 minute pace for my long runs. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice marathon race recap, Congratulations for a great job well done and looking forward for more updates. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete