Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011 in Review

Happy New Year! 2011 came and went in what seemed like a blink of an eye.  It was a busy, busy year, but probably the best year of my life so far.  So what went down in 2011?

After almost 5 1/2 years together, my husband and I tied the knot in May with a beautiful ceremony officiated by one of my oldest and dearest friends and with a rocking party surrounded by loved ones.



We followed it up a month later with a week-long honeymoon in Mexico at the gorgeous Excellence Resort Playa Mujeres.  Relaxing and beautiful.  I can't recommend this place enough.


2011 was also the year of running for me.  I ran nine races in 2011, including my first marathon.  I began my 18 weeks of training during our honeymoon.  And then ran. And ran. And ran.  Marathon training was physically and mentally exhausting at times, but so rewarding, as I pushed my body to new limits that I didn't think were possible.  I became a better, faster runner and set some new PRs along the way.


Along the way, my husband finally graduated with his MBA after 2 1/2 year of very challenging graduate school work, while also working full-time.  It meant a lot of time spent apart, and I think I was just as happy as he was when he finally got that diploma.

Sadly for most of 2011, I put baking and cake decorating on hiatus.  A full time job, wedding planning at the beginning of the year, and then 18 weeks of marathon training took over a lot of my free time.  A Pulled Sugar class at the Wilton School later in the year sparked my interest again, and I finally got my sugar art mojo back.


And finally, after a couple of false starts, I started blogging regularly.  I am still learning a lot, but I really have enjoyed having my own little place to dork out about my interests.

As for 2012, I don't set New Year's resolutions.  Instead, I write a list of goals I want to accomplish in the various parts of my life for the entire year.  It is still a work in progress, but I have set some ambitious goals for myself related to fitness and running, and I am working on my bucketlist of sugar art techniques and cakes I want to make for the new year.

And with that, I am ready! Bring it on 2012!

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen a couple look happier. Good for you two.

    I'm looking forward to more posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww, what a great year you had, and you have the pictures to prove it. :)

    ReplyDelete