Thursday, December 1, 2011

Blast From the Past: Air Force Flag Cake

From the archives, this is probably one of my favorite cakes ever!  Typically, after I finish a cake, I am never completely happy with the end result and have a list of a dozen things I would change. This bad boy, however, I pretty much love completely.


I made this cake for a friend's mother who was retiring from the Air Force.  We looked at several flag cakes my friend found on the Internet, but decided on this popular design.


Close-up of the Air Force Seal:



The details:

9x13 cake with a 4-inch square cake dummy on top to boost up the flag.

The Air Force seal was an edible image that I mounted on a fondant plaque and surrounded with a fondant rope border that I hand painted gold.  I used the same border on the cake.

The flag was all fondant.  It was made in two sections: the stripe section and then the star section.  I draped each section separately over the cake and added the stars after the blue section was already placed on the cake

An edible image was also used for the date plaque on the front of the cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment