Friday, November 4, 2011

Five for Friday

TGIF! Except not really because it will most likely be a crazy busy weekend for me.  So what has been going on this week?

1.  I am making a cake for a friend's 30th birthday next weekend. It is a roaring 20s/flapper theme, and I started plugging away on some of the cake details this week.  I anticipate a few late nights over the next week and possibly a 3 a.m. mental breakdown as well.  I am excited because I am trying out a lot of new things on this cake, but  a  bit nervous because you never quite know how things are going to go the first time you try a technique out.   I guess that is part of the fun of it all.

2.  I am running the Hot Chocolate 15K this weekend. I think the race is a little over-rated and too expensive, but everyone seems to love it because they give you hot chocolate and chocolate fondue after you finish.  I have run the Hot Chocolate the last two years and was planning on swearing it off this year due to the organizational dumpster fire it was last year, but it is slim pickings for races over 5K from now until the end of the year.  Plus, I have received about a million emails from them swearing they have fixed their mistakes from last year.  We shall see.  Thanks to my conditioning from marathon training, I should PR pretty easily though.  Yay!

3.  I finally got a Facebook page set up for the blog and have added the "Like" button to the sidebar.  I am still in the process of getting everything going, adding pictures and what not, but it would be great if you would go follow me on Facebook.  I would like for the blog to continue to be sort of my personal landing space for my running adventures, cake decorating/baking projects, and anything else that strikes my fancy, but I am planning to devote the Facebook page entirely to cake decorating and baking. 

4.   On the baking front, I made brownies earlier this week.  Like the best brownies in the world!  I know I am about 5 billion years behind everyone else who have already made the famous "Baked" brownies, but hey, eventually I get there.  In the battle of cakey versus fudgy brownies, I fall firmly on the side of fudgy.  And these brownies are fabulously fudgy and dense.  I used regular old Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa and Ghirardelli chocolate, and they were awesome.  I imagine if you sprung for some higher quality ingredients, they would be out of this world.  Anyway, enough talking, go here and make these brownies ASAP.

5.  Finally, let's conclude Friday with gratuitous dog pictures because it's my blog, and I can do what I want. 

Aren't my babies cute? This pic is from our engagement shoot that we did with the awesomely talented Jeremy Lawson.  He also took our wedding pictures, and I can't recommend him highly enough if you are looking for a photographer in the Chicago area.


And with that, happy friday! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm forever trying to achieve fudgy brownies! Must try that recipe!

    ReplyDelete