Thursday, October 13, 2011

My New Cake Toy

I have been lusting after a new camera for a while now.  My current point and shoot was serviceable, but not great for taking pictures of my completed cakes, and it was pretty awful at capturing detail work.  I knew I wasn't ready for a big gun, DSLR camera that are so popular with bloggers, so I settled on a higher quality point and shoot.  After a little bit of research, I purchased a Canon PowerShot S95.

I haven't had a chance to play with it too much yet, but I brought it with me to the Wilton class I took a couple of weekends ago and was able to get a couple of decent pictures of some of the many cakes they had on display around the classroom. 


Colette Peters teaches classes at the school regularly so they had several of her cakes displayed in the classroom. One of qualities that I admire most about her decorating is that she has a very distinct style and point of view that sets her cakes apart from anyone else.  


So far my favorite aspect of my new camera is the ability to zoom in on details. I definitely couldn't get these shots with my old camera.


Example of brushed embroidery work on one of the display cakes.  I haven't attempted this technique yet, but I would like to soon.


Pretty royal icing flowers.  I love the colors and the way they shaded the roses.



This was one of my favorite display cakes.


Not surprising because I love gum paste flower work.


Obviously, I still need to mess around with my camera a little bit more and learn about the different settings, but I am super happy to have this new little bad boy to take pictures with.

No comments:

Post a Comment