Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blast from the Past: Spooky Halloween Birthday Cake

Now that Fall is here, and the holidays are soon approaching, I have gotten a major cleaning/organizing bug.  Part of the process has been slowly sifting through all my billion cake pictures, deleting and organizing to get them in some semblance of order.   Looking through everything, I thought it would be fun to highlight some of my past cakes that I have loved making. With tomorrow being Halloween, this cake seemed most appropriate.


This is a spooky Halloween cake that I made for a friend's birthday last year.  I took my inspiration from a similar design that I had seen floating around the Internet.  My apologies because I am not sure who to credit for the original design.


The was my first time working with modeling chocolate, which I used to make the spooky tree topper, and I have to say I loved working with that medium.  I made the tree using an internal skeleton consisting of a cake dowel and heavy duty floral wire and then covered it with modeling chocolate.




Making all the tiny bits and pieces was my favorite part. There were fondant pumpkins, skulls, bones,  and gravestones.   I drew templates on card stock to make the fondant trees for the sides of the cake and used an clay extruder and fondant to make the gate.  


The cobblestone walkway was a time-consuming PITA to make, but I loved the effect.  I used multiple colors of fondant to roll out individual cobblestones which I placed one by one on the cake board.

The "keep out" sign was one of my favorite details. 


Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment